WIOA requires Local Workforce Investment Boards (WIBs) to work with representatives from secondary and postsecondary education providers to develop and implement Career Pathways. This occurs by aligning employment, training, education and supportive services to meet the needs of adults and youth, focusing on those with barriers to employment.
What is a Career Pathway?
The National Career Pathways Network has defined a Career Pathway as a coherent, articulated sequence of rigorous academic and career/technical courses, commencing in ninth grade and leading to an Associate’s degree, Baccalaureate degree and beyond, an industry-recognized certificate and/or licensure. The Career Pathway is developed, implemented, and maintained in partnership with secondary and postsecondary education providers and employers.
Why Career Pathways?
Career Pathways can help Local WIBs, educators, jobseekers, youth and employers identify career options and the knowledge and skill requirements that individuals need for their careers. Career Pathways also help in identifying skill sets and job functions/roles needed across job families.
Local WIBs need to be committed to working with educators, industries and economic development partners to develop a shared vision and strategy to support sector-based Career Pathways for youth and adults.
Career Pathways Strategies
There are many strategies that Local WIBS can use to support the development of Career Pathways:
- Working with employers to determine their hiring needs
- Working with educators to design training programs that meet the hiring needs of employers
- Utilizing labor market data (local, state and national)
- Measuring the success of existing training programs and outcomes
- Measuring employer and earnings outcomes
- Promoting seamless progress from one education step to another
- Eliminating barriers to accessing training
- Providing guidance through career coaching
- Creating and supporting partnerships between workforce development, education, labor and non-profit organizations
- Supporting industry partnerships
What steps are you taking to ensure that your education and training providers, operators and partners are supporting Career Pathway services as required in WIOA? Do you need help getting started or help in completing the processes? Please let us know how we can assist you in your efforts.
If you are interested in gaining more information regarding WIOA implementation, please contact me at email@example.com.